- FREE FL Permit Test Resources: Wake Up The Driver Inside You!
- Florida Motorcycle Manual
Florida Motorcycle Manual Online 2013
The Sunshine State attracts riders year round with its fantastic riding conditions. If you want to get in on the fun, the first step is being properly licensed by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV). The Florida Motorcycle Operator Manual contains information on motorcycle and moped operation and includes all the material that will be on the DHSMV knowledge exam. Passing the knowledge exam will enable you to get your Temporary Instruction Permit, or to obtain your motorcycle license.
FL Rider Training Program
The Operator Manual encourages beginner and experienced riders alike to consider enrolling in the Florida Rider Training Program. This course teaches strategies and techniques for safe riding. It’s mandatory for riders under 21 years old, and voluntary – but recommended – for riders older than 21. The basic course consists of 5 hours of classroom instruction and 10 hours of hands-on practice.
What’s in the FL Motorcycle Operator Manual?
As mentioned earlier, careful study of the Motorcycle Operator Manual will help to guarantee your success on the DHSMV knowledge exam. There are four main sections of the Manual and the key concepts in each section are outlined below:
I. Preparing to Ride
- Appropriate motorcycle gear (e.g. helmet, eye and face protection, clothing)
- Familiarity with the motorcycle
- Rider responsibilities
II. Ride Within Your Abilities
- Techniques for vehicle control (e.g. body positioning, shifting gears, braking, turning)
- On the road (e.g. lane positions, following, passing, sharing lanes, sharing the road with cars)
- Increased visibility (e.g. clothing, headlights, signals, night riding)
- Dealing with dangers (e.g. avoiding crashes, dangerous surfaces, obstacles)
- Mechanical problems
- Flying objects
- Getting off the road
- Passengers and cargo
- Riding with a group
III. Being in Shape to Ride
- Alcohol, drugs and motorcycle operation
- Legal blood alcohol concentration (BAC)
- Minimizing risks
IV. Earning your License
- Knowledge test
- On-cycle skills test
Safe riders demonstrate a combination of knowledge and practical skills. By reviewing the concepts covered in the Motorcycle Operator Manual, prospective candidates can refine their skills for safe riding in traffic. The knowledge test ensures that individuals have a strong foundation in road rules and correct riding practices. The on-cycle skills test confirms that individuals are able to put their knowledge into practice. This test typically takes place in a real traffic environment, or in a controlled setting.
The complete version of the Florida Motorcycle Operator Manual is available at the DHSMV office, or you can view it online below. Take the first step in getting your FL motorcycle license today!